Same zen polymer sculpture over an aluminum foil armature, but with different costuming. I like to experiment with the costuming. I'll photograph, compare, decide and then glue and/or sew. This is sheepskin, which is more structured and gives a nice shape. But I decided to go with the first one with the torn blue linen.
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Thursday, August 26, 2010
I used ProSculpt polymer clay over an aluminum foil armature for this sculpture of a Native American.
Monday, August 23, 2010
I sculpted this head from polymer clay.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
I have had a gigantic toothache and haven't been doing much. I played around with some ink pads.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
I had some questions asking what other things were made of and/or where they came from. The junk store signs are made from polymer clay. I used a permanent marker for the wording and fluid acrylic paint for the distressing. The container of soda is from my collection of old doll toys.
Monday, August 16, 2010
"Every Crowd Has a Silver Lining." -- P. T. Barnum
C'mon, are you smiling?
It made me laugh.
I hand sculpted my Bald Headed Beads (copyrighted) from polymer and attached them to the base using Silimide beading thread. I wire wrapped the hanging loops using 16 gauge nickel. Sterling silver jump rings were used to attached the chain. I glued silver lame' to the base and then glued the polymer transfer to the silver lame'. Wishing you lots of silver linings.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Below was the first draft of The Queen. I sent my friend a photo of her and she told me that she needed some junk and some junk store signs to tie her in with the "shopping for junk" poem.
She was right. The final version tells the whole story. I sculpted the head from Sculpey Light polymer clay. I used an aluminum foil armature to keep it even lighter. I used a wire insert to secure the head to the doll's body. Her tiarra and earrings are junk jewelry and her earrings are held in place with copper nails.
The plastic bag is made from a plastic bag and painted.
I sculpted her top and skirt from two-part Apoxie Sculpt. Her skirt has a metal screw closure and her boots are painted on.
Her "heart" is from a broken earring finding. The texture is from tub and tile caulking and pieces of hardware I embedded in the caulking. The entire piece was distressed using several of Michael deMeng's color recipes. I sealed the piece using a spray matte sealer. I really had fun with this piece and decided to finish the other two I had started in class.
Saturday, August 14, 2010
That's me....."Easy Leaf Necklace" on the COVER! I had two more posts on The Queen of Debris, but had to post my good news today just in case you didn't hear me jumping up and down and screaming for joy. Not quite sure when it will hit the stands, but I'm sure I will mention it a time or two again. Subtly, of course. My usual.
Friday, August 13, 2010
The Queen of Debris: She shopped 'til she dropped. She couldn't be stopped.
Junk she accumulated; odds & ends to be assimilated.
She transformed garbahge into masterpieces of assemblahge.
I celebrate her creativity; her drive for connectivity.
This homage to her I give; through her art, she'll always live.
My "Day of the Dead" creation from the Michael deMeng workshop at Art Unraveled. Hope your Friday the 13th is a lucky one!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
This is my piece from the Laurie Mika workshop. Some copper nails, heat set crystals, gold leaf, mica powders and acrylic paint. Laurie's website is Mika Arts. And, yes, I bought her book and she took time to sign it. She was funny, resourceful, professional and patient. To say it was great fun would be an understatement.
Friday, August 6, 2010
I'm back from the workshops, but need to get settled. So, in the meantime, I wanted to post this pendant from so many years ago.
Another "find" I couldn't do without. What it is, I don't know.
At least I didn't try to "polymer" it up.
Not yet anyway. I am anxious to post for tomorrow and show what I created at Art Unraveled.
Thursday, August 5, 2010
I mixed Pearl Ex with liquid clay and coated the polymer pieces.
Most of them are bright gold except for the one cross and the three keys. I tried to highlight the top crown with some magenta, but didn't really care for it. Would just leave it gold next time.
Monday, August 2, 2010
I didn't get any beading done because I got sidetracked again. I went through my stash looking for odds and ends to bring to the Art Unraveled workshops this week and I came across a tiger claw necklace I bought about 30 years ago. I was fascinated with the claws and tried to duplicate them in polymer.