Thursday, July 21, 2011

Polymer Moon Cake Brooch

I collect Moon Cake Molds that "speak" to me. Like the cat mold; love Happy Cat.
Each wooden mold has a beautiful patina. Worn wood with a smooth as silk feel. I just love them.
The legend goes that during the Yuan Dynasty, China was ruled by the Mongolian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung dynasty were unhappy at submitting to foreign rule and set out to coordinate a rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Hidden in each moon cake was a message with the outline of the attack. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming Dynasty. Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this legend.

5 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

I just wanted to say how much I love your blog. I always learn new and wonderful things from you. Thank you.

Barbara said...

I knew nothing about "moon cake molds" -- thanks for the interesting facts, and now I have something new to research. Learning will never be done! The brooch is an eye-catching conversation piece. It must have taken a long time to fill in those lines, and the colors complement each other so well. I also like the "bling", always love anything shiny. I just want to touch your piles of molds!

Lupe Meter said...

Never heard of moon cake molds...thanks for sharing that! Those are really neat looking molds, some would make interesting pendants!

Lupe Meter said...

Oh, Congrats again for being on Polymer Clay Daily! That is awesome!

Marlene said...

Thank you. Thanks for letting me know you enjoy my blog. So nice to hear. Glad you liked the Moon Cake Mold post and thanks for the congrats too!