Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Inspired by a Reproduction

I saw the below wall bracket in a catalog and I fell in love with it. I wanted it so badly, but couldn't afford it. I was so inspired by the colors & textures I thought I would attempt to make my own version. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a damaged wall bracket for $10. It was plain other than the bow at the bottom and the three scrolls at the top. Perfect size and the damage didn't matter because they would be covered. So, voila, below is my version.
 All the flowers, leaves, ladybug, bee, pine cones, acorns and bird are polymer clay. I hand sculpted the bird, roses, ladybug and bee. I had molds for the pine cones, acorn, leaves and smaller flowers. I shaped them by hand after adding a few veins, texturing or fingerprints. I baked them and hot glued them on to the bracket. I reinforced different areas under my polymer pieces with tissue and wood glue.  I also used Apoxie Sculpt to attach the larger pieces.
I added bronzing powders, acrylic and iridescent paints to highlight areas on the acorns, flowers, leaves and bird.

No comments: