Friday, September 10, 2010

Armatures

Photos and text by Marlene BradyI posted some sculptures on my blog and was asked what I used for my armatures. Usually I use Styrofoam cones, wire, batting and doll tape. But sometimes I use wooden dowels.
Sometimes I use foam or sometimes strips of torn cotton fabric around the wire and form to give it shape.
If my sculpture is completely polymer with no fabric costuming, I use wire and aluminum foil under the polymer.
But basically, that's it in a nutshell. If I sculpt hands or feet, they are attached to the wire, glued in and then wrapped and glued again. I sew and usually glue the costuming over the Styrofoam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is quite a construction process, and very interesting. Thanks for the details!

Unknown said...

Oh thank you for sharing and showing photos! I had wondered too but never did ask you about it. I hadn't thought of using styrofoam cores. I saw that and the photo and thought "you can do that?! Cool!"