Monday, August 11, 2014

Magic

When I was little, about 7 years old, I garbage picked looking for toys.  We lived with my maternal grandmother in a house on the corner of an alley.  I never really found much.  Then, one day, I opened the lid of a garbage can two houses from ours and found a brand new box of magic tricks.  It was like Christmas.  I’ll never forget it.  From time to time, there were more new toys and I always had the same reaction--eyes wide, mouth open; pure wonder.  It was years later I found out that Mr. and Mrs. Hall did not have children.  The new toys were for me.

I googled 1954 toys, newspapers and toy ads, reduced them to fit my matchbook and garbage can.  I googled 1954 playing cards, reduced them to fit inside her pockets, on her hair and in the box of magic tricks.  I sculpted the figure, rabbit in the hat and the garbage can from polymer clay.  Her eyes are beads and she wears glued on doll hair.
I loved Leslie Blackford's sculpting workshop at Clay Carnival.  I learned a lot, laughed a lot and "remembered" a lot.  And that's how my rabbit in the hat, my "something personal" fit into my sculpture.  Click HERE for Leslie's workshop description.

8 comments:

coltpixy said...

I LOVE her! Love the scene and what a beautiful story. Adore the curly red hair and freckles. ♥

Marlene Brady said...

Thank you. Leslie Blackford shared so many of her stories and kept encouraging us "not to fuss too much". It was such fun to make a meaningful piece.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Such a poignant story and beautiful work of art. I especially love the cards in her hair - it gives her such a jaunty look.

Marlene Brady said...

Thanks Paula. Much appreciated.

Barbara said...

Wow, Marlene, this is such a personal work that the story needs to be documented along with her. To pass this down someday will mean so much more with the story in tow. It is absolutely beautiful, I love everything about her. Her colorful filled pockets, the little magic set, and I even love the trash can! Can you picture Mr. And Mrs. Hall watching and waiting for you to show up and discover your new treasure?! I'm sure they are still smiling, wherever they are. You didn't know it then, but you surely brought much joy into their childless lives. True art is meant to evoke emotion. This piece is " over the top". Misty-eyed here. ;)

Marlene Brady said...

Oh Barbara, thank you. I'm so glad you like it.

Becky Acosta said...

That came out great! And such a cool back story :) I have yet to finish mine, or any of the CCLV projects.

Marlene Brady said...

Thanks Becky! I think taking care of a 2 year old lets you off the hook. She keeps you pretty busy!