Thursday, February 10, 2011

Art In The Afternoon

Our local art club has a paid model sit for us on Monday afternoons.
Above is one of one of two art rooms set up with a back drop, a carpeted stage platform and professional lighting. The art club supplies the easels, tables and chairs, etc. We can pencil, charcoal or pastel sketch, oil or acrylic paint or even sculpt.
Since I am new to this, I try to loosen up with some quick sketches and then try my hand at something more finished like the cowboy. It's funny though, I end up loving the quick sketches, simple lines, minimal color over the more finished pieces. Weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything about this post reminds me of my college art classes. I won't tell you how many decades ago! Some things never change though, and the quick sketches were always my favorite things to do as well. Although I love your finished piece *a lot*, I don't think it's weird at all that you ended up loving the simplicity of the quick sketch.

Christy said...

I agree with you - The finished piece is nice, but I LOVE the sketch. It's gorgeous and you captured so much life and spirit in it. It has a dignity that makes me want to keep looking at it.

I've had the same experience where I've liked some quick experimental pieces more than the 'masterpiece' I labored over.

I wonder if it's because when you're doing a 'throw-a-way' there's so much less pressure? There's no impulse to overwork or overthink.

Or maybe you're just really good at capturing quick impressions in a sketch and that's your style. :)

Marlene Brady said...

Thank you both. I sure appreciate the insight and have learned some things about myself. Thank you.