Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gourd Sculpture Part 1

I'm continuing to make things more difficult for myself. I KNOW I cannot do a smooth sculpt with Paperclay and yet.....I'm going to try to get it as clean as possible. I'm using a purchased gourd that I have painted with Golden's White Block Out Paint.
I use a baked polymer clay "smoother" for shaping my aluminum foil head armature. I use a Makins tool for indenting the features. I try to sculpt as much as I can in the aluminum so the head does not become too heavy.
However, I can already see that the head is going to be too large, but am I going to stop? Nope. Just going to go with it. I wired the exaggerated arms and neck and will add the Apoxie Clay to the neck and shoulder "T" and let that dry overnight. Continued......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will be following the progress on this, Marlene. Your process is creative and so interesting! (PS: I think the head is a perfect size. :)

Marlene Brady said...

Thanks.....it's keeping me busy. I've never done a gourd, so I'm winging the process. Although, it should be very solid by the time I am done.