Friday, February 25, 2011

First Place Gourd Sculpture

The judging was today...got a call that I won First Place in the Gourds category! Very happy about that! I also entered one of my Bottled Up polymer clay pieces and won First Place in the category! How lucky is that?
Might as well finish telling you the rest of her "parts". I used dimensional liquid polymer clay to create tiny clear bubbles to texture her skirt and top. Air dry polymer clay was used to cover the small gourd and for her head wrap. I used Golden acrylic paints for all the painting.
Her collar was sculpted from air dry polymer clay and hand beaded. Because air dry pc is porous, it can easily be sewn using a beading needle. I beaded her little arm bracelets, glued the felt on the bottom and she was done. Yay. I did sign her on the side and gave her a light sealer. I like her a lot. I'm so happy...I'm re-energized. Such a good feeling!

10 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Not lucky. Highly skilled and lots of work. These are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! She is absolutely WONDERFUL! The detail is incredible and impeccable, and I love her face so much! Her courage and pride shows in her expression and her posture. Knowing how much work went into this piece makes her even more special -- *thank you* for sharing the entire process! You mentioned you received two first place awards and wrote "How lucky is that?" Marlene, it has nothing to do with luck. It's plain and simple raw talent!

Marlene Brady said...

Thanks Roberta and Barbara for your sweet words of encouragement. Made my day!

bbdyevr said...

I SO agree with Barbara, TALENT!! Luck is for the rest of us poor souls.
You, my dear, are oozing with talent!
The gourd piece is simply fabulous, more than you described yesterday...so perfectly put together. It amazes me how you envision & create all the "people"
and each is so very different...facially, shaped, dressed.
Tell me...
Do you hear voices, too? LOL...sorry, couldn't help myself.
Really...I LOVE HER! And congratulations on the 1st prizes...
but BUMMER about yer car!

Lupe Meter said...

She turned out beautiful, Marlene! Congratulations on winning first place! Your work is awesome!

Desert Rubble said...

OMG of course you won, look at her, she's amazing! I agree with the others, such an awesome talent you have.

Congratulations!

Marlene Brady said...

I am thankful for all of your comments. Like a big cyber hug! Thank you.

Rhonda said...

THAT is so AWESOME! The news, the piece, wow, big big big hug to you dear friend.

Alice Stroppel said...

oh wow, beautiful!!!!

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, Wow, she is great. I really loved seeing the entire creation process. Congrats again!