Sunday, February 27, 2011

Polymer Sculpture

This is the polymer sculpture that won First Place in the Sculpture-3Dimensional category. I am still in shock. It won over two magnificent pieces; one being a 1' x 2" marble sculpture of a couple climbing a huge rock. I was told that it "just struck the judges", that they had never seen anything like it and that's why it won. I have to tell you that it was hard. It was hard to listen to people criticizing my win over the marble. I just kept saying "It's like comparing apples to oranges, what can I say?" My art friends said.....you can't say that bottle is fine art. I said the operative word was "ART".....and who's wearing the blue ribbon???? I'm just so happy....it can rain on this parade all it wants to!

7 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Congratulations! Like you said you have the blue ribbon, so you can just ignore those who criticize!

Roberta Warshaw said...

Rain, rain go away.
The piece is fantastic, imaginative, creative and wonderful.

Oh and did I say fabulous:)

Congratulations to you and all your hard work!

coltpixy said...

I love the expression on her face! Congratulations! Very well deserved.
I know you said the critics were your art "friends" but apparently they have never spent any time in an art museum nor studied any art history. I say they are just jealous.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Marlene! Not only for winning but also for holding your head high against criticism by those who didn't get it. What they missed is the focus should be on the impact of the 'whole package', not just one element of the package (like the bottle). Not to mention that sculpted face, that incredibly emotive and unique face! Congratulations to the judges as well on a job well done!

Marlene Brady said...

Thank you one and all! I needed that! -Marlene

Rhonda said...

WHAT? People actually said that? What is wrong with the world? This piece is amazing and I wish I could have seen your show.

Anonymous said...

Do not let anyone make you feel bad about such a great piece of art! Your work touched a responsive chord with the judge(s) and that is all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. People with negative ones, however, should learn to be discrete when voicing them.