Friday, April 23, 2010

Carving Your Own Stamp Continued

You are going to "stamp" your carving into conditioned clay. I chose a dark scrap clay because I knew I was going to paint it, but you could choose whatever color or blends of color you want. I sprayed my carving with a mist of water and then laid it on my conditioned clay and gently pressed down.
Lift your rectangle off and there's your raised carving! Use your cutting blade to cut your pendant shape or use an aluminum cutter. I preheated my oven and baked my piece at 250 degrees for 45 minutes.
I made a bunch of disks and circles to match-just in case I wanted to use them in my necklace. I used a yellow ochre to highlight the high spots and decided I did not like it.
Then I rubbed Titan Buff all over it and wiped it off. I painted the face darker using Payne's Gray acrylic paint and water. Yeah, I was liking it much better; my little ancient primitive pendant. Continued tomorrow.

No comments: