Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bead Journal April

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."-R. Buchminster Fuller
Experimented with April's Bead Journal Project; backed it with some material, used a smidgen of fiber string for the caterpillar and a polymer butterfly cane I made a while ago.
Glued the material on the back and folded it over the top to form a sort of tunnel for my necklace cording.
Made a copy of the quote, scanned it in my computer and flipped it horizontally so I could put it on the polymer. Conditioned some white polymer and ran it through the pasta machine on a thin setting, printed the quote out on some baking parchment and immediately applied it to the white polymer and baked it at 250 degrees for 45 minutes.
It smudged on the word "butterfly", but I am going to practice until I get this to transfer without smudging. The little caterpillar is on the side of the left leaf and the polymer butterfly is on the right.
Yeah, I'm happy with it. The quote just struck a cord in me--it took a long time to find myself; to struggle out of that cocoon. Who knew there was a butterfly in there, but once out, I soared and have enjoyed the ongoing process ever since. (OK, a couple crash landings, but I got up again).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very unique, and it does have a "fluttering" feel to it! Very, pretty.

Jody said...

I Love your piece for March..............lovely
Your other artwork makes me smile to. :-) Lovely polymer clay artwork!!

Robin said...

You are definitely a butterfly!!! What a joyful and creative piece!

Robin A.